[haiku] Re: Haiku on a stick with a bigger partition than 700MB

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:49:45 -0400

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Robert Stiehler
<r.stiehler85@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday i built a Haiku from the latest sources of the svn. I built it as
> anyboot, all in all that worked and i got an 700MB image file which i was
> able to put on an USB-Stick and boot from it. The only problem is that the
> image is just 700MB and so the haiku partition on the USB-Stick is just
> 700MB to. Is there a way to configure the built for making bigger image
> files?

Are you already using a custom UserBuildConfig in the directory you
jam out of?  If not, I suggest using one, as it will let you specify
the image size you need.  I did this two weeks ago when I was building
images for use at the Ohio LinuxFest.  I only wanted images around 2
GB in size, so I set:

HAIKU_IMAGE_SIZE        = 2000 ;

Note: I could be wrong about this, but as far as I'm aware, you need
twice as much hard drive space available as the image you are
generating.  In other words, if you try generating a 10 GB image and
only have 15 free, you'll notice you run out of space on the hard
drive.  I know this happened to me when I was trying to generate
images larger than half of my free space, so I think it's just how the
build system works when generating an image due to generating a
temporary image and pre-allocating space needed.  I admit I need to
give that a closer look sometime though to make sure that is the case.
 :)

> My aim is a real usable Haiku on a Stick, not just for installing it from
> the Stick. On my test running Haiku on the USB-Stick it runs fast enough for
> "productive" use :-)

I suppose it is good enough, but there's nothing quite like running it
off a hard drive partition.  I could tell the difference fairly easily
while running my X120e with a USB stick, but it is possible that my
stick just wasn't all that fast.  If you have space to kill and are
building Haiku on the same machine that you are trying it on, I
suggest building Haiku and writing it out to its own partition.
Once you go that way, you rarely go back!  That said, if you are happy
with the speed, no need to write out Haiku to a partition.  It's just
a friendly suggestion.  :)

See these files for more information about various build options,
including how to write out to a partition:

trunk/build/jam/UserBuildConfig.ReadMe
trunk/build/jam/UserBuildConfig.Sample

or just visit this link and browse to the files indicated...
http://svn.haiku-os.org/haiku/haiku/trunk/build/jam/