[haiku] Re: Haiku as the easy-to-use, free, open, secure OS

  • From: Michael Mounteney <gate03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:32:21 +1000

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 13:30:42 -0400
Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unless you are hiding under a rock, you have heard about what the evil
> American NSA has been up to (as an American, I am ashamed about what
> our government has become.)

Personally, to achieve your goal, I think Haiku development should be
distributed (in the DVCS sense), or at least, not based in the US,
which I see turning into elected totalitarian régime day by day.

Technically, it's a big change of focus, and shouldn't be considered
before R1 is ready.

Currently, I'm sure Haiku is under the radar for now, but the time will
come, I'm sure, when computers will have to run one of an approved list
of operating systems.  If you think that's ridiculous, look back at how
far we've come, technically and legislatively, over the last fifteen
years, in terms of loss/surrendering of freedom.  E.g., we already have
the lock-in model of iOS and Android, which the majority of the sheeple
cheerfully accept.  Why do you want something different ?  Are you a
turrrist ?

The requirement will be enforced with mandated proprietary hardware
(think UEFI boot) and bearing in mind the life-span of hardware, will
be achieved within five years of inception.

As we don't know yet what form the hardware lockdown will take, it's
difficult to plan for it, but that's the way I see things going.

--
Michael Mounteney