[haiku] Re: Haiku as the easy-to-use, free, open, secure OS

  • From: gs@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 09:40:09 +0200

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I agree, but that discussion isn't necessarily relevant to Haiku. I do
> think we have strived to create Haiku to serve the user and the user
> alone.
Yes. The reason I like to bring it up from time to time is that it
really shouldn't be taken for granted. Examples of things that happen
when we put ethics in the back seat are practices such as Tivoization,
or the proliferation of peripherals that require non-free firmware to
work. Speaking of which, what might the FSF be referring to when they
say Haiku includes software that you're not allowed to modify?
(https://gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html)

I think the issue should be clarified, and if incorrect, to notify the
FSF. I know FSF endorsement might not be a realistic short-term goal,
but I think Haiku should receive recognition for what it does.

--gs