[haiku] Re: Haiku Translation Assistant ready for action

  • From: "Travis D. Reed" <tdreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:38:26 -0600

> 1 - When you move out of a text box, I assume the little round thing (which
> makes the screen move as well, if you're scrolling for example (try it!). It
> seems like it's inside a table cell and resizes it when it appears and
> disappears) means it's saving them (else I've just translated styled edit
> for nothing).

This is the Drupal throbber. I know what you're talking about, and it's
annoying, but I'm not prepared to work on that right away. I'll keep it in
mind, though.

> 2 - Is it possible for it to show the text in the text boxes in a different
> color if the string is untranslated (and by such equal to the original text)
> ?

Done and done! There's a little check box if you want to confirm that a
translation is accurate even though it seems untranslated.

> 3 - Is it possible for a developer to pick which languages he wants't to
> work with? There are a gazillion of languages in the textbox, and I'll only
> do European Portuguese (*), yet I still need to go fish for it on the combo
> list.

Yes. See the note I wrote on the front page. (Just for you!) I'm doing a
similar thing for the program box.

> 3 1/2 aka (*) - Can you add a Brazillian Portuguese language? There were at
> least two people interested in doing it, and since it's a bit different from
> European Portuguese, I believe it should be done. Of course, this is always
> open to discussion (as are the rest of my "quirks").

This is *extremely* important, but PulkoMandy must work out the details of
this in the LocaleKit. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be handled.

> 4 (aesthetic) - The "My Recent" and "Recent Posts" aren't used by anything
> are they?

Yes, the idea is that when a developer uploads a default catalog, they
become the manager of a group. Translators join these groups and send
messages (i.e. posts) in the groups to tell the manager to upload to SVN,
fix a bug, etc.

> 5 - There should be an English language as well. I say this because if a
> non-English developer develops something that becomes part of Haiku, or if
> HTA starts to accept 3rd party apps, there may be cases where the App is not
> originally written in English. Also the English sentences themselves
> sometimes have some errors or are not clear as they could be.

HTA is completely agnostic to the default catalog's language. :)

> 5 - It would be great if there was a way of showing graphically where the
> string will appear, but that would probably put some strain the the servers.

 S. Zharski's wiki has this feature, and it's *very* nice. Next top
priority. Screenshots.
--
Travis D. Reed