[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:38:16 +0200

> Supporting many file systems is important to be enable Haiku to be used
> by more people. A big part of the Haiku philosophy is "it just works"
> (like in "wow, it can just mount my current Linux partition and work
> with it").

Most linux filesystem aren't powerful enough when it comes to handling
attributes and resources in a file. So, you can read/write them, but
not really work with it the Haiku way.

But ok, we definitely need read support to help migrating to Haiku
easily. Write support is for using multiple OS. I consider the fact
that people request that almost a failure, as it means they are still
running some other OS alongside. But well, let's say we need it at
least for a smooth transitional period, then it will disappear when we
take over the world :)

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx