[haiku] Re: [GSsC] usermode Haiku or file system development

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:50:03 +0200 CEST

Le Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:38:16 +0200, PulkoMandy a écrit :
> > Supporting many file systems is important to be enable Haiku to be
> > used
> > by more people. A big part of the Haiku philosophy is "it just
> > works"
> > (like in "wow, it can just mount my current Linux partition and
> > work
> > with it").
>
> Most linux filesystem aren't powerful enough when it comes to
> handling
> attributes and resources in a file. So, you can read/write them, but
> not really work with it the Haiku way.

I have something in the pipe about attribute interoperability.

It was my second (actually first) proposal for a poster at EuroSys, but
I couldn't only have one.
The idea being not about using each other's attributes but preserving
them.

The current way of "everyone uses his own scheme" doesn't work at all.
You'll end up from a People file to a single linux.user.DosStream
attribute after a trip to windows, Samba and linux...

François.