[openbeos] Re: Font sizes

  • From: Jimmy Shaka <the.sciaccas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:29:31 -0400

Is the Haiku dir on berlios full again? The last few entries have 0 k size.

PS:
I just want to say I'm so very proud of all the developers for making Haiku-Tracker/Deskbar possible. The news is worth plenty of celebration- (even without functionality and polish.)
Much love and thanks to you all!!
Shaka

On Jul 9, 2005, at 6:30 AM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:

Hi Zenja,

I've posted some screenshots of Haiku AppServer running OpenTracker on
a thread on ArsTechnica battlefront
(http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums? a=tpc&s=50009562&f=48409524&
m=635003524731&r=596004524731#596004524731),
and the overall impression is that font clipping seems unprofessional.

And that's why there are no official screenshots on our site just yet. This
is exactly the reason why I feel posting all this news is premature. There
are pretty high hopes and expectations on the Haiku project, and everyone
will look really close. Haiku does not stand a closer look yet by any means.

What really puzzles me... you must have had Haiku actually running to make
those screenshots. So *you* should know that there are much more pressing
issues than fixing up those *apps* to have a more dynamic layout. I don't
blame those people just looking at the screenshots to notice something like
text clipping. But I do wonder about you, who have run Haiku, that you think
it is time to think about text clipping.

It's easy to fix this issue

No, it is not so easy to fix this issue on a larger scale. The real fix is a
layout management that goes past the B_FOLLOW_LEFT_TOP stuff. Something in
the direction of liblayout. If you ever used one of my apps, then you would
know I do care about text clipping and generally about giving an impression
of a polished app. In fact, I care alot about that. But right now... no way.
We really have much bigger problems to focus on.

Best regards,
-Stephan