[openbeos] Re: Font sizes

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:49:01 -0400

On 2005-07-10 at 06:22:32 [-0400], Simon Taylor wrote:
> > [...]
> > But none of that is the point. R1==R5.
>
> I'm sure you just do this to wind me up, Michael. Don't listen to him kids!

Moi? Innocent little moi? :-)

> > [...]
> > R1 will be better than R5 in many ways
>
> That's more like it. Slight contradiction?!

No, not at all. FEATUREWISE, R1==R5. Bugwise, we hope, R1 will be much better
than R5. The only place that we really creeped features were places where we
had a lot of lattitude (i.e. places where backward compatability were either
not doable) and where it made no sense at all to implement something that is
horribly bad (net_server).

> I do see what you're saying - R1 will obviously not implement some fancy new
> system-wide layout mechanism.

Yes!

> However, it is possible to make apps font sensitive in R5. Yes, it's more
> work than it should/could be for the app developer, but it is certainly
> doable. I have no doubt that the apps shipped with Haiku will be font
> sensitive when we get to R1. Stippi is on the team after all...

Yeah, they probably will. But we all have to recognize that doing so takes
valuable developer time. To write code that will all get ripped out for R2. How
much time is that worth? I personally could very much live with an R1 release
that is "only" usable in certain resolutions if it would assure me that R2
would be done quicker.