[openbeos] Font sizes

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:24:19 +1000

I've posted some screenshots of Haiku AppServer running OpenTracker on
a thread on ArsTechnica battlefront
(http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=48409524&m=635003524731&r=596004524731#596004524731),
and the overall impression is that font clipping seems unprofessional.
   Can I just urge developers to get the font size and calculate the
clipping width/height before clipping views, instead of using hard
coded values.  The user will always use a font with a different size
compared to developers, so chopped text in windows will always happen
UNLESS you enquire about font metrics before clipping.  Even yellowTab
Zeta doesn't do this for most distributed apps, and it looks very non
professional.  Dont dispair, almost every single OS is subject to
these clipping issues (including MacOSX and Windows)

It's easy to fix this issue, and represents the difference between a
polished app and a quickly assembled app. Take care with your own
apps, and Haiku apps will distinguish itself from the others by oozing
with quality.  Lets stop with this lazy practice now.