[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 - Permission to use Haiku logo

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:12:28 -0400

On 8/4/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Obviously more people are likely to try out the CD that looks better.
> But that shouldn't really be the goal. Talking to people, getting them
> sold on the goals, and giving them a CD simply to save them the trouble
> of downloading the images seems like the best plan to me. Just giving
> out lots of good-looking CDs may do more harm than good in the first
> impression stakes. We really don't want people to think that we think
> it's finished!

I know it has been discussed extensively before and everyone has their
opinion on it, but I think this CD thing is being over thought and
blown out of proportion.

Right now Haiku the project could really only benefit from a CD being
distributed at FalterCon. Either it results in getting a few more
developers from the Linux crowd, and maybe a few more future users, or
it doesn't. If it doesn't we haven't really lost anything, but we have
learned that either Haiku is just too buggy to be put on a nice CD, or
Linux guys just aren't interested. This is valuable knowledge which
can be used to adjust our marketing strategy in the future.

To say that a bad CD would drive away potential developers or users
who might support Haiku if given a perfectly working CD is
speculative. We really can't be sure until we test it out, and
FalterCon is a good testing ground, in my opinion.

I use to be on the "let's hold off distributing Haiku until it is more
mature" crowd, but I'm starting to think we have gotten over the hump
and it is time to start letting "our baby" take its first steps.

Ryan