[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 - Permission to use Haiku logo

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 08:25:49 +0100

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

Because they don't want to and there's no need to either. The decision will be made by the admin team and we're currently voting.

Why do I always think of something to say after the admin team vote? ;)

I think it's important the presentation matches the content. Having professional presentation around an unfinished product is almost the worst case scenario IMHO.

There is a world of difference to how the current Haiku experience will be perceived if the CD is a fancy screen printed one complete with official logo compared with if it is a CD-R with a handwritten label giving the revision number and extra contents. -In scenario 1 the professional presentation says, however subconsciously, "this is a release that someone has thought about". Making it look too finished will just set people up for disappointment when they run it. -On the other hand, a handwritten CD-R immediately feels like it is just a snapshot of the current state of the project. People would look more for the potential and be more accepting of any bugs.

Also, as Michael mentioned, we are looking for developers. That means convincing people both that Haiku has potential and that there are plenty of things they can help with. I think that message is also better communicated by a CD that looks "unfinished", both on the outside and the inside. It's more a cry for help to developers than a pre-alpha for users.

Obviously more people are likely to try out the CD that looks better. But that shouldn't really be the goal. Talking to people, getting them sold on the goals, and giving them a CD simply to save them the trouble of downloading the images seems like the best plan to me. Just giving out lots of good-looking CDs may do more harm than good in the first impression stakes. We really don't want people to think that we think it's finished!

On using the logo on flyers etc - sounds OK to me, although the final designs should be shown to someone in the know so they can ensure there are no factual errors.

Simon