[haiku] Re: Drupal Template

  • From: Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:29:53 +0100

Hello, Niels

2010/1/2 Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Barett,
>
> 2010/1/2 Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > We (haiku italia) are planning to redesign our website (haiku-os.it),
> our
> > idea is to make it similar to haiku-os.org, is possible to have the
> template
> > of the official site to use it as base?
>
> Personally I see no problem with sending you the template, as long as
> you try to make it visually and content wise distinct enough from the
> main website. This is in order to protect the brand image. I know that
> for that reason the previous template was not distributed, but I guess
> we could theoretically reach an agreement on how your final template
> should differ from the main website.

Naturally our aim is not to make an haiku-os.org copy, just similar for the
eyes (as haikuzone.net for example).
This was discussed in past, IMHO a common template between the official site
and usergroups sites will improve the unity of the haiku's community.

Having said that, the big speed bump is the unclear licensing of the
> current theme. It was designed by Jorge Mare. It is based on the
> Acquia Marina template that can be found at
> http://drupal.org/project/acquia_marina
>
> The license of that theme is unclear. There is no mention whether it
> is released under the GPL (like Drupal is). Until that can be
> established, I assume that we (as the Haiku project) got a license for
> use of the derative from Jorge, but that (partial) copyright (and as
> such the decision) are with him.
>
> [Note that this is not about ethics. Ethically, I feel that like code
> 'donations', design donations should also have an open license. This
> is however, never explicitly agreed upon for the theme which causes
> the twilight we are in.]
>
> So you have two options. The first is to contact Jorge and ask him for
> the template (and the conditions that go with it). The other option
> would be to start from the Acquia Marina template and work from that.
>
> I will ask Jorge for the template, Thanks : )

Best Regards