[haiku] Re: Drupal Template

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:44:53 -0800

Niels Reedijk wrote:
Hi Matt,

2010/1/3 Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:
That's fine, but understand that under the GPL when you pass it to
other people they have the right to modify, and distribute the source
code. So this includes the right to publish it. So any agreement to
keep it 'under wraps' is a gentlemen's agreement, not one enforceable
through a license or copyright. Just for your information.

Not only that, once the theme is distributed to anyone outside of the
organization, then it must be freely available to anyone. To me,
'organization' in this sense infers 'websites under Haiku Inc. --
*.haiku-os.org, *.haiku-files.org'.  3rd party websites, Haikuware,
OSDrawer, Haiku-os.it, and so-on would be outside of the organization,
since they are not affiliated with Haiku Inc.

That's a misunderstanding of the GPL that we have come across on this
list before.

Shortly put: when you distribute a binary (or the source) to someone,
that person has the right to modify and distribute it. If Jorge passes
on the source to me, I can modify and/or distribute that.

The error is in thinking that if Jorge sends it to me, he must make it
available for everyone. That is not true. Only the people that get it
have the right to access the source and distribute it.

Of course, anyone with access to the source can distribute it. So
that's why you can only rely on a gentlemen's agreement if you want to
share some GPL code but want to keep it under wraps.

My understanding is exactly the same as that of Niels. IOW, I don't see the need to make a public release (which, IMO, has no direct benefit for Haiku).

Now, HUG sites using the same Drupal theme with a standard linking/navigation scheme pointing to strategic places (i.e., the Haiku website, Trac, SVN, Donations, Store, etc.) would be beneficial, as they would reinforce the Haiku brand and also have a social networking effect that would be beneficial from a community building POV. That's why I am inclined to pass on the theme to HUGs (such as haiku-os.it).

I understand that the HUG would then have the right to re-distribute the theme (as it is GPL), but I don't see that as a major risk. That being said, if the consensus is that the theme should not be distributed to HUGs, I can live with that too.

So, I would be in favor of not distributing the current Shijin 3 theme
at all and instead, providing the generic theme (which would be seen
as a second body of work) that Jorge initially proposed.

Naturally the images that contain the Haiku logo are not under MIT or
GPL license, and as such cannot be distributed. Everything else in
terms of the license complies, so that can be re-used.

So Jorge: there is no problem with distributing Shijin sans Haiku
logo. But I would suggest asking those that get the theme to at least
make their work stand out from our website in order to protect the
Haiku brand.

I will try to work with the haiku-os.it guys and, if they agree, will see if we can show the work for peer review prior to going live.

HTH,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net