[openbeos] Do we want to recreate SoftwareValet/PackageBuilder?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 22:53:03 -0400

Hi guys,

First: I've read through the archives and I see there was an extensive
discussion over installers in Dec 2001 and Jan 2002. I do not want to
re-hash that discussion.

I was just wondering if there was any interest in reverse engineering
the pkg format and recreating SoftwareValet and PackageBuilder exactly
as they are now.

I used PackageBuilder last night for the first time to create the
Microsoft Font Installer (http://www.bebits.com/app/4331) and it took
me about 15 minutes. The installer package worked perfectly the first
time. So I think it is a pretty slick app. Of course last week I was
battling with the NSIS installer on Windows writing its weird
PHP/Assembly script language combo, so maybe I'm an unusual case.

I'm willing to do the work on this, but maybe you guys think effort
needs to go other places...

Regards,
Ryan