[openbeos] Re: Berlios Snapshot

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 23:15:28 +0200 (MEST)

Mat Hounsell wrote:
> BTW, I assume the network code is spread over the kernel and the network
> kit
> and the kernel network driver add-ons. Is this correct?

Spread all over the place:
* NetworkKit (libnet, libbind, libnetwork, etc.)
* kernel modules (netstack core, interfaces, and protocols)
* kernel drivers (netstack API driver and ethernet)
* terminal and GUI apps/prefs

But, unlike *BSD/Linux, it's not an integral part of the kernel. Everything
is modular and interchangable at runtime (or should be ;) and it builds on
top of the usual driver and kernel module APIs (no special network magic).

Bye,
Waldemar