[openbeos] Re: Do we want to recreate SoftwareValet/PackageBuilder?

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:11:38 -0400 EDT

André Braga wrote on Tue, 9 May 2006 13:26:31 -0300:
> On 5/9/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It could be right now, but since Haiku won't stay a single user system
> > for long, it's not worth the effort (as this solution doesn't work in a
> > multi-user environment).
>
> Well, unless you go AGMS' fildirute route and add per-user permissions
> to attributes... But that's for OBFS2.

Thanks for pointing that out - another useful case.  Have child directories
of the executable (one for each user) holding the attributes for that user.
With permissions set on each of those child directories, it should be
possible to have multiuser security for the attributes too.  But then we
get into indexing complexity - which ones should a query return?  I guess
the index can hold them all, and skip over ones you don't have permission
to read.

This of course implies the ability to find the parent of any file system
object so you can get back to the executable after doing a query.  Need
a virtual file system call to do that, or maybe just do a readdir of
".." since everything can be a directory.

- Alex