[haiku] Re: Dedicated Haiku QA (testing) team

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:29:56 +0200

On 06.07.2012 01:03, Dennis Catt wrote:
I'm guessing no official development methods (e.g., agile, etc...) are
being practiced and it's basically iterative development hitting
semi-planned milestones (judging from what I see in Trac)?

Well, it's the standard open source development method :-)
People work on things that interest them much, and sometimes even on things that block a release.

Having said that, we're always trying to have our trunk in a good shape, so that it makes sense to not just start testing a week before a planned release. Many things should be tested continuously (well, every now and then will do).

Another thing we should definitely work towards is getting our unit tests up again, and have them executed after each release. I don't know if Trac's Bitten could be used for this, or if we should prefer other things like BuildBot. I seem to remember there was work towards getting a BuildBot up and running -- how much did that proceed?

http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TestManagerForTracPlugin

This looks pretty nice, and may help with setting up reproducible test plan.
I guess we would set up testing cycles (for example monthly during normal development, weekly in the month before a release), and see how it goes then. Maybe it's not necessary to test each thing the same number of times when time is limited.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this.

Bye,
   Axel.