[haiku] Re: Dedicated Haiku QA (testing) team

  • From: Dennis Catt <cattmail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 19:03:49 -0400

Sorry for the delay in reply (July 4th, etc...)

Well, I guess one of the first things to flush out is how the development process currently works (roughly speaking) and try to fit the appropriate QA (testing) process around that. I'd hate for the QA team to be an impediment to the Dev team in a way that is not valuable for the project. The other thing is what would the Haiku core developers expect/desire from a dedicated QA (testing) team.

I'm guessing no official development methods (e.g., agile, etc...) are being practiced and it's basically iterative development hitting semi- planned milestones (judging from what I see in Trac)?

I think that the QA team should compliment the Dev team where possible and harmonize on targeted releases. Obviously not going to happen overnight, but maybe an assembled QA team can get into a productive state by the time the 1st beta ships later this year.

One person (richienyhus) had mentioned a Trac plugin for maintaining a test management system that might be worth a look and would hopefully not be major issue in integrating to the current Trac system (if allowed/approved).

http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TestManagerForTracPlugin

More on this subject to come (here or the Community Forums).

-Dennis

On 2012-07-04 at 19:47:49 [+0200], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 08:54:00 -0400 Dennis Catt wrote:
I have been trying to gauge interest in the subject stated above:
Dedicated Haiku QA (testing) team

Is there anyone here that has opinion (or other) on the subject?

Systematic QA sounds like a good idea, though - not working in the
"business" - I have no idea what that exactly entails.
I bet all devs would appreciate any effort yielding high quality
bugreports in the bugtracker.

+1. And not only high quality bug reports. A systematic QA approach would also help uncovering regressions faster and improve our release process. We already have a few very dedicated individuals who do a lot of testing and retesting, but organizing things more and sharing the load would certainly
help a lot.

CU, Ingo