[openbeos] Re: Calculator

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:11:42 +0200

> > Daniel, may I change the license stated in your code to MIT?
>
> Yes.

Thanks Daniel for your parser contribution.

> Although this could be accomplished with a history and a single text control,
> it is nice to be able to see the result as you type.
> But with two text controls, the "=" button would then have to change it's
> behaviour, since the result would already be there.

Why not doing the beos way: let drop this anachronous "=" button and instead
just show the current expression result *live*, syntax error, divide by zero
and like included.
Afterall, even the quickest user typing rate can't put the CPU on his knees due
to "intensive computation" since, what, the Sinclair ZX81?
;-)

The history list could alse be turned into a "paper tape" like feature, as in
the MacOS X Tiger's Calculator: http://www.macoptions.com/osx/calc.html

Having the option to hide the "real life" buttons is a must for advanced users,
but it should not be on in factory settings, or novice/new users will be quite
confused.

- Philippe.