[openbeos] Re: Calculator

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:29:46 +0200

Jonas SundstrÃm wrote:

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

I think that DeskCalc also suffers from this "real
world interface" which doesn't really make sense
on a computer screen.

Anyone who's worked with one of those real world interfaces (desktop calculators with huge buttons) will appreciate the use of the keyboard num pad as if it was, indeed, a calculator, as intended by the PC keyboard inventors.

I wouldn't mind a fancy expression evaluation mode though. :)

Or even a nice pretty-printer. :))
I don't really know why we should have this real-world interface. Can't we only
have buttons for special functions like square-root, raised-to, sin, cos, tan,
ln, e? Well, maybe also +,-,*,/. But who needs numbers if the normal keyboard
has them?
BTW, "," and "." should have the same meaning ("2,3" = "2.3"). This is the most
annoying "bug" in (simple) text-based calculators.

Bye,
Waldemar