[openbeos] Re: Calculator

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:54:49 +0200

On 2006-06-05 at 15:23:55 [+0200], DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If nobody minds, I can put DeskCalc into the Haiku tree, after cleaning
> > it up
> > some more.
> You won't be stepping on my toes if you do. Go right ahead. :)

Alright.... after looking at the Calculator that you checked in, I think
that DeskCalc also suffers from this "real world interface" which doesn't
really make sense on a computer screen. It might be nice for first time
users, ie it is immediately clear how to enter the expression with the
mouse. But I'm thinking that a simple text control which evaluates the
expression that you type in makes much more sense. Then when you press the
"up" arrow key, it has a history of expressions, like how the text control
works in a chat window, or like the Bash history. So in order not to scare
anyone away with just a simple text control, we could have the interface of
DeskCalc, which is really simplistic, with an "expand/collapse" arrow
besides the expression text control. Or even only an entry in the popup
menu...
With the addition of Daniels parser, I think that DeskCalc is powerful
enough to offer all the features of Calculator. But typing the expression
into a text control seems (to me) much simpler and straight forward than
having to press a lot of buttons in the Calculator UI. So in the end, we
should have the best of both of these apps.

Best regards,
-Stephan