[haiku-web] website sub domains was (Re: Drupal Twitter Module)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 18:29:21 +0000

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sikosis wrote:
>> So, I guess this brings up a question ... I guess it's been discussed
>> before ... why are we on version 5 of drupal when 6 is the latest ?
>>

> Because upgrades are not easy in Drupal, particularly given the number
> of modules that our website relies on.
>
> (The more our website grows, the more I think it would be a good idea to
> split it into smaller pieces. It would be so much easier to maintain and
> upgrade.)

Here's my thoughts on one possible way to divide the website into sub domains.
(assuming that doing so is generally agreed upon)
Keep in mind, i'm not well versed in website technologies, so it's
very possible that some of these divisions don't make sense.
As you can see, I aimed to organize domains by the type of content
being presented to the user and not by the technologies used to
implement it.

First, a list of the functionality provided by
www.haiku-os.org
        news / blogs
        documentation
        forums
        mailing lists
        downloads
        media : screenshots, photos, movies,
        upcoming events

Next, proposed division :
www.haiku-os.org
        news / blogs
        links to all subdomains

doc.haiku-os.org
        contains all user+developer documentation
        some of this documentation can be considered static or frozen.
                That is, it will not need to be updated frequently , eg,  API
documentation.
                As such, it should only *certain* authenticated users should be
allowed to edit it.
        other documentation can be considered dynamic or not-frozen.
                This includes things such as installation instructions, how-to
guides.
                 Any authenticated user should be able to edit this content.
                There should also be a revision history, in the case of a
malicious user.
        Individual blog posts should no longer be used as how-to guides.
                Curretly, those blog posts can only be edited by the author and
user-authenticated-as admin or editor.
                If a developer wants to publish information, but does not want
submit the content via the tool, eg Wiki,
                Then they should create a plain-text document and create an
enhancement ticket.
                Ideally, this will encourage more users to participate in
helping
developers publish documentation.
                At the worst case, the documents sit in bug tracker until one
of the
regular contributors migrate it.

discuss.haiku-os.org
        all viable methods for discussion
        ML : subscription, archives,  ways to perform meta-searches of ML
        should we create a website form to send mails to [haiku] ?
        forums  ( forum software? )
        embedded IRC client

events.haiku-os.org
        past, present, and upcoming events
        calendar, google map
        event media : screenshots, videos, promotional items

files.haiku-os.org
        essentially  haiku-files.org
        haiku.images : VMWare, Raw, CD, ...
        optional packages
        Dev tools for BeOS -- this needs to a legacy section, as it isn't
officially supported anymore.

start.haiku-os.org
        This can be thought of a launching pad, to allow a user to quickly
and easily navigate through the subdomains.
        there could possibly be a start.haiku-os.org/newuser, which provides
information/links pertaining to newusers.