[haiku-web] Re: updated developer's permissions

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:33:21 +0000

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 01:16, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Urias McCullough wrote:
>>
>> Well, not speaking for him specifically - I wouldn't have understood
>> why the "Dev" role wasn't meant to be assigned to developers either...
>> So, its very name is misleading.

Yes, the fact that several developers had a role "Dev" seemed to imply
that developers are intended to have it. Many developers on the drupal
site had only the basic  permissions, which are granted to all
authenticated users.
Based on that, I saw no reason for any preliminary discussion. I saw
it simply as a matter of inconsistency that developed over time.

> I can understand the assumption that Matt made, but I also think he has
> already given too much access to too many people that may not understand
> what they are doing.

Which permissions do you not trust our developers with?
Once it's agreed upon, I'm willing to implement modifying the permissions.

> But besides all this reasoning, what is so hard about the concept of prior
> consultation? Why is it so hard to ask before do, especially when you don't
> know what you are doing like in this case?

For something that is an error, I see no reason for preliminary
discussion. I performed the correction and notified this list. This is
a standard procedure in committing code, editing content on the
website (even when it is submitted by another person), and elsewhere
in our community.

Whereas you Jorge, have performed structural changes to the site
without prior consultation nor discussion.
For example changing the behavior of the top news entry to not display
the author(this was later reverted after the fact upon inquiry from
Axel), removing the GSoC/HCD 2009 sidebars (but more importantly its
contents), and changing the url of the community/gsoc2009/ pages
(without at least creating redirect urls) are some examples that come
to mind.
I do not recall any discussion before they were implemented nor
notifications after the fact. Please understand that I'm merely
pointing out examples to demonstrate that you Jorge, also forget about
(or simply do not abide by) the concept of prior consultation from
time to time.
So, a little consistency on your part would be appreciated.

--mmadia