[haiku-web] Re: updated developer's permissions

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:54:54 -0800

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
I suggest we come up with a reasonable set of default permissions for
developers. The current apparently misnamed Dev role is probably too
powerful. I don't think it is necessarily an issue of trust, but more
of removing any chance for accidental damage. I know I tend to be very
careful with the roles I have on the web-site, and if some of the
other developers are not aware of their "power" they could
accidentally mess up something.

Exactly. In the same way that we would not give full access to all the devs to baron. Permissions are given for a reason, not just because one has reached certain status that is irrelevant to the permission granted.

As for the whole "asking permission or asking forgiveness" situation
here, I don't think we want to mire ourselves with constant votes and
consensus for every little web-site change, but I will probably lean a
little toward Jorge on this particular issue of permissions. But I
don't think Matt can be faulted for assuming a role called "Dev" was
appropriate for all developers. I certainly assumed it was as well.

I did not fault Matt; please read my first response...

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-web/updated-developers-permissions,1

...and you will see that all did was point out the wrong assumption on which he based the change on and expressed my opinion that this was not the wise thing to do.

It's not that we have to burden ourselves unnecessarily. But for things like changing permissions, where the ramifications can be big, we have to act with care, and the best course of action is to ask to make sure what you are doing has the intended results and not assume at the risk of messing things up. This is not a concept difficult to grasp I think.

So let's not yet again blow something out of proportion. Let's adjust
the Dev role to something more appropriate (less powerful), and then
add additional admin or editor roles to whoever might want or need
them (I would like them at least.)

I am afraid it is impossible for me to have a productive discussion with someone like Matt who puts himself over and over in a position of power and then talks nonsense to justify his acts.

I really don't want to waste my time anymore with this sort of childish "I did this because you did that" discussion style that he brings up everytime he screws up.

If Matt thinks it is OK for him to make this sort of decisions alone, then he can be responsible for administering the whole website himself.

I am signing of the list; those who want yo reach me know where to find me. Good luck!

Jorge/aka Koki