[haiku-web] Re: Team Roadmap for June

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:51:58 -0700

2008/6/5 Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2. What do we need to change? Does webfaction currently control our
> domains? Who has access to the control panels to change the domain
> routing?

IIRC, the steps involved are:

- Registering the gmail for domains account

- Putting a google-generated file into the root of your website (This
proves that you actually have control/ownership of the website content
and can put the file provided by google there)

- Setup the required email accounts using the gmail for domains admin
console, assign administrators, etc.

- Changing the DNS to use google's supplied-servers for the MX records
per their instructions (I believe they even provide customized
instructions for various popular registrars such as GoDaddy, Verisign,
Register.com, etc.) (*This is the step where the existing
infrastructure will be "broken" - so this should be saved until last
and everyone is ready to make the switch*)

- Additional steps can be taken to a "pretty hostname" for accessing
the gmail for domains - I believe you first tell google what the
"pretty name" is going to be (I made mine mail.teamhaiku.com) and then
edit your DNS records to point there. Google's servers automatically
handle the redirect for you at that point.

I'm not sure how to setup SMTP/POP/IMAP as I never bothered going that
far... but I'm guessing you can setup custom hostnames for that also
if desired. If there are any services relying on the webfaction SMTP
server, they need to be changed (either way, they'll have to
change...).