[haiku-doc] Re: About Wiki translations' naming convention

  • From: Miguel Zuniga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:52:52 +0300

Today, November 9th, 2009, at 4:39p, Humdinger wrote:

>What I could imagine more problematic, are the language names and flags
>in the navigation bar of every page. Aren't there latin americans who
>would scoff at the spanish flag and seeing "Spanish"?

We Latin American speak "Spanish". Spanish people have "Castellano" (not
Spanish) as their official language. For us, the word "Spanish" is. For them,
the little flag. (In Mexico, actually there is people who do not know what the
Spain flag is, really)

Today, November 9th, 2009, at 4:46p, Jorge G. Mare wrote:

>There is nothing wrong with using es_ES or showing a Spanish flag; after
>all, that's where the language came from; if somebody does not like it,
>too bad for them (and I say this as an Argentinean) as it's all in their
>heads.
>
>Anyway, I would not worry too much on national(istic?) sensitivities;
>let's focus instead on getting the job done.

You both just gave me the final answer: I will write it is only for hierarchy
that convention. I will point that this effort is for a union. Haiku is also
for working together. And i WILL write it down, before someone else asks (if
ever). The Firefox project (among others) gave me a very bad example of what
could happen, so it is best to say it before, and I will tell it in the local
page (not as extended as in these mails, but I will). For me is best to tell
and sound paranoid than keep shut and watch the snowball growing. Thanks to
clarify my preoccupation.

Miguel Zúñiga González