[haiku-doc] Re: About Wiki translations' naming convention

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:16:05 -0800

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 01:52 +0300, Miguel Zuniga wrote:
> Today, November 9th, 2009, at 4:39p, Humdinger wrote:
>
> >What I could imagine more problematic, are the language names and flags
> >in the navigation bar of every page. Aren't there latin americans who
> >would scoff at the spanish flag and seeing "Spanish"?
>
> We Latin American speak "Spanish". Spanish people have "Castellano"
>  (not Spanish) as their official language. For us, the word "Spanish"
>  is. For them, the little flag. (In Mexico, actually there is people
>  who do not know what the Spain flag is, really)

I had my education in public schools in Argentina, and I always studied
Castellano, and so do all Argentineans who go to school. In my country
there are also many people that don't know the Spanish flag (among many
other things); but the fact remains that the Spanish language is
Castillian, regardless of where you may have been born, so there is
really no need to make a distinction.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki