[haiku-doc] Re: About Wiki translations' naming convention

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:39:25 +0100

-- Miguel Zuniga, on Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:20:04 +0300:
> My vote is for letting just one big Spanish. The Spanish lang team
> has taken very good care in
> doing so. I just asked for letting "es" without "_ES" because the
> latter points it is
> "Castellano" from Spain. The international is just "es", but if you
> have something automated, I
> just will write it is the international Spanish, and that the "_ES"
> is just for hierarchy. But I
> had to ask, before the page is actually made.

As mentioned, the actually generated pages that will be available
online from the official website and when installing images can have
any path-hierarchy.
What I could imagine more problematic, are the language names and flags
in the navigation bar of every page. Aren't there latin americans who
would scoff at the spanish flag and seeing "Spanish"?

Stars&Stripes and Union Jack, not to mention all the other english
speaking countries may feel the same. Or, as you mention, the German
flag for Austria and parts of Switzerland etc...

Personally, I find it a bit depressing that our open-source, totally
free OS with people working on it from every part of the world has to
consider these issues at all. But that's not your fault, of course,
you're just the messenger... :)

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de