[haiku-doc] About Wiki translations' naming convention

  • From: Miguel Zuniga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:45:41 +0300

Hello everybody!

As the Wiki is being created, a concern arises because of my language. The Wiki
is naming the translation pages as language_COUNTRY. Is the translation that
specific?

For the Spanish I supposed the naming would involve only "es", as the
translation is being made in an international tone. I do not know what
consideration is being taken for German, Pole, French and Russian, but for
Spanish, a major issue carries with an election.

Spanish is a funny thing: people in Latin America (term made in the USA) say we
speak Spanish, but people from Spain say they speak "Castellano" (because of
their history, they prefer their local languages such as Catalan). Many, and I
say many, many people in Latin America is not comfortable when we found es_ES,
as it refers to Spain (we were dominated, blah, blah). If there is a es_ES it
claims it has the Spain variant, so it is not for Latin American people. People
from Argentina would probably be the first in asking for a es_AR, and when that
happens, we all will want a es_MX, es_CO, es_CL, because we do not say "Teneis
que hacerlo" or "Tenés que hacerlo", "Tienen que hacerlo" o "Tienes que
hacerlo" for "you have to do it". Just look the Firefox l10n for a vivid
example.

Would it be possible (at least for Spanish) just writing "es"? The pages I have
translated or reviewed do not require (for Spanish) to choose any variant. Why
to choose one? Is it mandatory? I know for sure there is an international
Spanish and a standard Italian. Portuguese countries are adopting an
international Portuguese. I don't know if this issue happens in German, Pole,
French or Russian, but the country variant is to divide in Spanish countries,
not to tie.

Thank you in advanced for your answers. Thank you for your time. I hope you are
excellent when reading this.

Miguel Zúñiga González