[haiku-doc] Re: About Wiki translations' naming convention

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:46:26 -0800

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 00:45 +0300, Miguel Zuniga wrote:

<snip>

> For the Spanish I supposed the naming would involve only "es", as the
>  translation is being made in an international tone. I do not know what
>  consideration is being taken for German, Pole, French and Russian, but
>  for Spanish, a major issue carries with an election.
>
> Spanish is a funny thing: people in Latin America (term made in the
>  USA) say we speak Spanish, but people from Spain say they speak
>  "Castellano" (because of their history, they prefer their local
>  languages such as Catalan). Many, and I say many, many people in Latin
>  America is not comfortable when we found es_ES, as it refers to Spain
>  (we were dominated, blah, blah). If there is a es_ES it claims it has
>  the Spain variant, so it is not for Latin American people. People from
>  Argentina would probably be the first in asking for a es_AR, and when
>  that happens, we all will want a es_MX, es_CO, es_CL, because we do
>  not say "Teneis que hacerlo" or "Tenés que hacerlo", "Tienen que
>  hacerlo" o "Tienes que hacerlo" for "you have to do it". Just look the
>  Firefox l10n for a vivid example.

There is really no issue here: the examples you give are for spoken
(colloquial) language, which is certainly different depending on the
region (more than the country). Properly written language complies for
the most part with what we we all study at school, and that's Castillian
regardless of whether you are in Latin America or Spain.

There is nothing wrong with using es_ES or showing a Spanish flag; after
all, that's where the language came from; if somebody does not like it,
too bad for them (and I say this as an Argentinean) as it's all in their
heads.

Anyway, I would not worry too much on national(istic?) sensitivities;
let's focus instead on getting the job done.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki