[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:27:23 +0100

Stephan Assmus wrote:
1) I think the integrated installation method is vastly superiour to anything else.
2) Making shared libraries actually shared has various benefits.
3) Ports or not, actually shared libs will cause problems which need to be solved in the installation backend. 4) Look at existing package management solutions, there's got to be some good ones out there.
I totally agree :) Be it apps, libraries (which are not really different from apps), ports or not, those should be treated as managed modules you can add or remove easily.

Why do you need to know where the software is installed? What are your use-cases for that?

I don't see an important use case yet, but i wouldn't mind if this info was
easily available if wanted though, just for informational/educational purposes,
like a diff of what will be done (or has been done) to your system.

An other feature i'd like to have is the ability to move/copy a package/module
to another system in a user friendly way (without redownloading the install
file/package)

Regards,
Alex