[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Remi Grumeau <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:08:23 +0100

> Am Montag, den 16.02.2009, 11:41 +0100 schrieb Remi Grumeau:
> >         Nevertheless, according to my experience HAIKU already has
> >         everything
> >         that's needed to make easy installable software. It's just up
> >         to the
> >         ones who write that software to use it.
> >

> > +1.
> > Just need one centralised software website that provides update
> > capabilities.
> Then again, why would I have to open my web browser for that? Just add a
> "software store app" (and call it "Synaptic" or "Add Applications" ...;
> you get the point).

Did i say that you have to open your browser ? A repository, a webservice, a
sftp, ... the technical side is not that much the question. A Software Store
App is nice when you have a internet access up n' running. When you don't,
you're fucked !

> I think you're a fan of a centralized repository - you just don't know
yet. ;-P

That's exactly what makes me uninstall Ubuntu on my previous laptop.
Downloading a software from another computer and copy it from USB Pendrive
was close to impossible. That could be a real problem, moreover when your
system have no wifi support.
But yes, i'm actually a big fan of centralized things, but even more when
you can access the zipfile itself from different way (repository, wget, web
browsing, copy paste from a CD/pendrive, ...) :-)