[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Rick Hansen <in_rapture@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:07:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Francisco Castro <fcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday 15 February 2009 18:14:57 Brecht Machiels
> wrote:

> > I would like to avoid the "DLL hell" that plagues
> Linux systems.
>
> There's no "DLL hell" in the linux systems, the
> problem in the linux distros
> is the "dependency hell" which is a very different
> problem.

Which is kind of the choice that ends up being made
when you decide on a packaging scheme. Do you want to
put ALL libraries in some "global" directory (/lib)
giving you the Linux style "dependency hell". Or,
place the executable and it's dependencies in an
application specific directory giving rise to
same/different versions of the same library scattered
all over the system; "DLL hell."

Personally, I prefer having application specific
directories, and placing all of the dependencies in
that directory. It does place the burden on the app
developer to have available all of the dependencies,
but in my opinion this makes for a better user
experience.

With my limited BeOS/Haiku experience, I'm not sure
how well it would work for this system, but IMO it
makes things much easier on everyone over time.

Rick Hansen