[haiku-development] Re: software organization/installation

  • From: Mauro de Wit <maurodewit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:17:54 +0100

> Why do you need to know where the software is installed? What are your
> use-cases for that?
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

Well, maybe there is no use case for it and it is useless from a user
perspective.
But the thing I liked most of BeOS was the fact that I had an overview of
what is going on and I had the feeling I controlled the OS. I controlled
which drivers it loaded, were the apps were stored and so on. If I want to
know which apps are installed, I would have a look at the apps folder et
voila. This transparency gave me the feeling I was on top of it.

Of course I see the benefits of the apt system on linux; on my ubuntu server
it is a blessing being able to install all software trough the repos. But on
my Ubuntu desktop, I have other expectations and I want to kwow exactly what
is going on in there.

Mauro