[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:02:22 +0000

On 2011-06-25 at 06:15:18 [+0000], Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is short proposal for a session manager api. Had a session manager
> already working some time ago but there have been some feature requests:
>
> 1) be able to report progress
> 2) additional storage for large data (for example to save unsaved images
> in an image editor)

I wonder how this will be used (from the user point of view). Is the plan
to have Haiku restore everything on power up ? I'm not sure I like that ; a
reboot sometimes is the best way to clean things up (it may take less time
than closing all these windows).

What I'd like is to use it as a kind of project manager. I stack&tile some
related windows (a terminal; a text editor; a tracker window may be an
usual case for me when developping an app). I'd like to save this group
explicitly, and be able to load it later, with windows in the same
position, and showing the same data. I think the group could be marked in
the Deskbar in Expander mode, each expander group being a S&T group instead
of an application.

I think this can be done with session management, and I'd find it a lot
more useful. Of course, the restore-on-reboot option may still be kept,
maybe replacing the "deep suspend" operation on other OSes. But I fear a
badly implemented app may lose some data while the user thinks it will be
restored. Don't use this to save any important data, we already have
something working for that.

--
Adrien.