[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:44:53 -0600

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2011-06-25 at 06:15:18 [+0000], Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> here is short proposal for a session manager api. Had a session manager
>> already working some time ago but there have been some feature requests:
>>
>> 1) be able to report progress

Could you elaborate on this? I've been thinking about what an improved
notification api would look like for a while, and this sounds like one
of the things I bundled with notifications. What I mean to say is that
this feature may be misplaced if it is part of the session manager.
That said, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, so we may be
thinking of different things.

>> 2) additional storage for large data (for example to save unsaved images
>> in an image editor)
>
> I wonder how this will be used (from the user point of view). Is the plan
> to have Haiku restore everything on power up ? I'm not sure I like that ; a
> reboot sometimes is the best way to clean things up (it may take less time
> than closing all these windows).
>
> What I'd like is to use it as a kind of project manager. I stack&tile some
> related windows (a terminal; a text editor; a tracker window may be an
> usual case for me when developping an app). I'd like to save this group
> explicitly, and be able to load it later, with windows in the same
> position, and showing the same data. I think the group could be marked in
> the Deskbar in Expander mode, each expander group being a S&T group instead
> of an application.

This is similar to what I was thinking. I would like the ability to
set up different profiles that I can switch between. A coding profile,
for instance, might have a terminal open with a tab for vim and a tab
in my projects folder, as well as Web+ open for bug tracking and
googling. A haiku-coding profile would be similar, but could open
dev.haiku-os.org in Web+ and move the terminal to my haiku source
directory.

To create a profile, the user would simply set up their system how
they want, and then capture their configuration into a profile. If any
apps were open that didn't support the profiles feature, there could
be a warning for the user, with the option to remove the apps from the
profile.

A profile could be created automatically when the user shuts down
their computer. It could also be nice to offer a dialog upon booting
(if the user enabled it) where one could choose which profile to
start.

Anyway, I think it's worth noting that if a session manager were to
ship with R1, it would need to be basically complete by R1B1, since
the beta releases are planned to be feature-complete.

--Alex