[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:59:50 -0400

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A profile could be created automatically when the user shuts down
> their computer. It could also be nice to offer a dialog upon booting
> (if the user enabled it) where one could choose which profile to
> start.

This all does sound pretty neat. One thing that has me thinking as the
Web+ developer is how the profiles would work with the browser, as far
as existing windows and tabs are concerned. I guess if the app is
already running and there is a request for a profile to be loaded, a
new window can be opened, so as not to mess up existing windows. If
the app isn't running at all, then the given profile can just be
opened. Though I suppose this logic applies to most apps, not just the
browser.

Also I've had plans for a WebPositive session manager for a while (to
restore tabs and windows), but we need a proper WebKit history API
first, but I don't want to work on that until I update our WebKit port
(which I started but haven't worked on for a bit.) Of course it would
be nice to have this browser session management hooked in with the OS
too.

> Anyway, I think it's worth noting that if a session manager were to
> ship with R1, it would need to be basically complete by R1B1, since
> the beta releases are planned to be feature-complete.

While all this sounds very cool, and Clemens or anyone is free to work
on what they wish, I think we need to stop adding things to the R1
release. Nice additions like this can always be part of a 1.1 or 1.2
update.

When the move to Git is finished it should be easier for developers to
keep their own branches for work such as this.

--
Regards,
Ryan