[haiku-development] Re: session manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:15:39 +0200 (MEST)

Clemens<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> here is short proposal for a session manager api. Had a session manager
> already working some time ago but there have been some feature requests:

Not just that, though. I think such a change would also be quite a lot to
tackle before R1; if the feature cannot be implemented consistently, it
shouldn't be implemented (see Gnome, where session management is completely
useless and annoying on top).

>       virtual status_t                        RestoreState(const BMessage*
> state,
>
> BSessionAppReadStorage* storage);

I don't get BSessionAppReadStorage/BSessionAppStorage besides that the naming
is bad.

> Each application has a private storage pool assigned where data can be
> saved by name identifier in a BDataIO object (BFile).

I'm not sure if something like that is needed; why not let the app let store
its state on its own? We could have a default location for this similar to
config/settings.

> when leaving the SaveState method. HasBeenAborted indicates if the user
> cancelled the shutdown process.

This should rather become a two stage thing, I think. First make sure all apps
are ready to shut down, then let them store their state.
Besides, if the app stores its state, there is no reason to let it abort the
shutdown.

Bye,
   Axel.