[haiku-development] how to write so others read

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:56:22 +0200 CEST

(A hopefully harmless yet effective message
from the self-appointed netiquette police.)

I think there´s been a surge in top-posting and
non-standard formatting lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

Please use inline replying, interleaving replies
point by point and make sure to quote and snip
properly, removing everything not relevant to the
continued discussion, leaving the relevant points
or the essence of what you´re replying to.

Using the conventional style of beginning sentences
with an uppercase letter, ending each sentence with
a dot and separating sentences with a blank space
helps people more efficiently parse your posts.
We´re humans after all. Saving a few bytes is not
a good enough reason to omit the spaces.

This helps your recipients focus on your message
(and how it contrasts to the previous message),
which is probably what matters most, rather than
on your visual style of writing.

I apologize if this request is seen as rude in any way.

TIA,
Jonas Sundström.