[haiku-development] Re: how to write so others read

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:24:44 +0200

Am 10.08.2008 um 15:52 schrieb Mathew Schofield:

Excessive ranting and bitching will only cause a split in the
community. I understand that some people dislike certain properties in
an E-Mail, and some prefer not to waste an extra 1.5-2.5 seconds
decrypting top-posting, but a line must be drawn.

Top-posting is the least of the problems here. Sentences not clearly visually separated makes it really hard for me to read, maybe that's because English is not my mother language; for many here it isn't.

Anyway, this is not a list where people post poetry and don't care about responses. They usually have questions or problems, like in this case. Respecting the overall preferences of those who are supposed to read and answer is not too much to ask for on a dedicated developer mailing list. For less ordered writings IRC is a viable alternative.

When someone is expecting the (German, French, Swiss, Italian, ...) developers to spend hours on investigating some problem they did not encounter themselves, then the time invested for pressing the space bar every now and then (and maybe even a shift key [*]) for an email or Trac ticket is small by comparison and may well help keeping people motivated.

Andreas

[*] In my native language, capital letters not only mark the beginning of a sentence but also denote all nouns, not just proper names. English by comparison already has a lot less instances of capitalization, so constantly omitting it in those few cases is lazy, not just unaccustomed.