[haiku-development] Re: The r1alpha4 branch

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:10:33 +0200

On 2012-08-25 at 08:30:48 [+0200], scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM, scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What step are we at now?  Are the buildtools to be rebuilt for
> > R1/Alpha4?  Specifically gcc-2.95.3, gcc-4.6 and perl? I think once
> > those are in place the rest should build ok.
> > https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha4/OptionalPackages
>
> For the previous releases I didn't start rebuilding of the
> OptionalPackages until a new gcc2 and gcc4 package was added, is this
> something I need to wait for, or can the rebuilding be done using the
> existing tools in a clean r1/alpha4 built branch image?

The point of rebuilding the package is 1. to make sure that they have been
built some official version and not some random intermediate version which
may have compatibility issues and 2. to build in the version information
for that release, so that fact can be determined later on. For neither a
rebuilt gcc is necessary. The gcc package needs rebuilding for the same
reason, though. So one could just as well start with it.

CU, Ingo