[haiku-development] Re: The r1alpha4 branch

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:31:05 +0200

On 2012-08-20 at 10:33:08 [+0200], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2012-08-20 at 00:19:02 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Matt Madia wrote:
> > > On 8/19/12, Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > maybe tag names of r1alpha4-xxx for the commits leading up to the
> > > r1alpha4-final tag?
> >
> > IMO that would be OK, though I don't find it particularly important to
> > have
> > the numeric tags in this case, since the alpha branch only lives for a few
> > weeks anyway. But, if it can be done without much hassle, why not...
>
> Not having a leading 'hrev' will make the implementation much more
> difficult, as it actually
> involves the following:
>
> - adjust the git-hookscript post-receive.pl to support different tagnumber
>   namespaces
> - adjust the apache redirections from Trac's source browser to Cgit
> - adjust Trac's internal detection of revision tags in tickets
>
> the latter two would get more complicated and less reliable if we'd no
> longer have a unique
> (well, nearly) tag prefix ('(h|bt)rev').

Is the prefix the issue or how it is mapped. E.g. I'd find a generalized tag
fine, too.

> Having looked at the required changes has not made me a fan of using the
> special tagging
> scheme for release branches.
>
> So if more people really feel that we need different tagging namespaces for
> release branches,
> please speak up!

As written before, I don't find it particularly important for the R1 alpha
releases, since the branches are rather short-lived anyway, but the branch
for R1 (which would run through all beta releases) will probably live a lot
longer. If it is a big deal to implement separate tag namespaces, I could
live with a single namespace too (that's better than no tags in the branches
at all), but I'd prefer separate namespaces.

CU, Ingo