[haiku-development] Re: The new locking primitives and boosting -- I need some guidance here :)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:59:04 +0200

Hi André,

André Braga wrote:
> Fortunately the latest design I did (the one described in the blog posts
> has a flaw when threads enter and leave the scheduler which I didn't
> manage to solve, so I redesigned it yet once more) behaves quite nicely
> in this regard: a thread that's constantly ready will always run with a
> period equal to
> thread_priority/(sum_of_all_ready_threads_priorities * timeshare). IOW,
> it's a pretty fair scheduler.
>
> > As for whether or not this is desirable for R1 - I certainly think it
> > is a must have. I don't know the involved code very much, but it looks
> > like the scheduler should be a rather contained piece of code, so it's
> > not like we are talking about changing lots of code with unforseen
> > results. So please, by all means, work on it and experiment! :-)
>
> I'm not really worried with the scheduler code per se anymore, as it's
> mostly done now. You'll be hearing from me Real Soon Now(tm) ;) It's the
> boosting code that I'm eyeing ATM, and load balancing code is next (and
> is a subject for another short novel of a message :D), but I agree that
> Haiku would probably benefit a lot from the new scheduler without any
> further tweaking re priority boosting etc.

This is great news. Maybe you have sent patches to Axel... but I for one
would love to see your work, or better yet, your progress, since then I may
have a chance to follow it and understand it better than if a bigger bulk
of code appears all at once. You may benefit from the input of others,
while you work. So why don't you attach code to a ticket or send it to this
list?

Best regards,
-Stephan