[haiku-development] Re: The new locking primitives and boosting -- I need some guidance here :)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:39:28 +0200 CEST

> However, Linux depends on X11 for the GUI, and the X11 people can't
> assume much regarding the underlying operating system, its role --

The kernel should not depend on higher layer, infering knowledge of
higher layer based on their behaviour looks to me as a design flaw.

Also, We use real-time priority for threads that need it (like mouse
mover, ...), and there is a suggest_thread_priority function that takes
into account what the thread is to do.
Only the process using the kernel knows what it wants from it, the
kernel shouldn't need to guess what can be told to it by other means.

Sorry I didn't read the rest it's a bit late here.

François.