[haiku-development] Re: The new locking primitives and boosting -- I need some guidance here :)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:52:50 -0400

Hi Andre,

I suspect I speak for a lot of people when I say your excitement and
motivation over this issue is impressive. But I think the best
approach for now is to get your basic fair scheduler into Haiku, test
it out, and then start worrying about this issue and see if it
improves things.

Like Ingo says it is hard to say whether this will help responsiveness
at all. Therefore it really is a premature optimization at this point,
and I can only assume you have been warned as much as the rest of us
have about the evils of premature optimization ;)

Your current fair scheduler will probably be a great improvement in
and of itself, and I don't think I am alone in wanting to see that
puppy put into Haiku ASAP! So let's not spend too much time discussing
this issue until that is done (as much fun as it may be to discuss
things like this at times.)

Regards,
Ryan