[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Adding a serial console program to Haiku?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:12:01 -0500

On 22.07.2012 22:02, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems wrote:
is it only working with usb-serial adapters or does it work with generic serial ports as well ? and I know of a tons of useful applications for Serial ports. Some of which would attract users and donations

Sean

TT Systems needs it without a doubt. We have used USB2Serial but encounter crashes when attempting to communicate with external devices. Definitely hoping for a solid serial experience, whether it's through USB2Serial or just plain access to serial ports, ideally also via a multi-port serial card since we need to be able to address more than one
port.  I've been wishin' and hopin' for a long time!

The thing is, the serial ports should work at the moment. by USB2Serial do you mean http://usb2com.sourceforge.net/?

Currently there are two serial port drivers

pc_serial  -- standard hard-wired serial ports
usb_serial -- usb to serial converters

both should create a standard posix style serial port node in /dev/ports/* and register the serial device with the device kit (not really used too much, see //www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Device-Kit,1)