[haiku-development] RFC: Adding a serial console program to Haiku?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:35:25 -0500

Good afternoon folks,

Currently Haiku has no serial port console application.

BeOS came with SerialConnect which won't run under Haiku due to #2161

Until a SerialConnect replacement comes around, I want to add com.c to
the default Haiku image.

http://pub.haikungfu.net/com.c

com.c above is a slightly modified version of this to build under Haiku:
http://www.brokestream.com/tinyserial.html

The code is really tiny, compiled gcc4 is 7Kb. It builds on gcc2 and gcc4.

Here is the usage:
com /dev/ports/usb0 [baud]

and a screenshot of it in use on a serial port with RTS wired to TXD:
http://pub.haikungfu.net/images/com.png

Any disagreements on me adding this tool? It's licensed as-is.

 -- Alex