[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Release Plan for Haiku R1 alpha 3

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:05:16 +0100

Hi,

On 13 February 2011 15:56, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> Von: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
>> SHOWSTOPPERS
>> While the previous discussion mentioned whether or not we should have
>> blockers, I hope it is clear that this proposal is a time-based
>> release proposal. Practically this means the following: a showstopper
>> is only a showstopper if:
>> a) someone is actively working on resolving it
>> b) and the fix can be provided within a reasonable period of time (in
>> other words: a delay of the release more than a week is too much)
>>
>> The rest are known issues.
>
> Thanks for trying to give this another push. I am all for preparing another
> release ASAP. However I don't agree that nothing can be a showstopper. I
> think the release makes sense if it's at least not worse than the last
> release. If there are bugs in it that prohibit its use, I don't see the point
> in making the release. For example, DHCP is broken right now, we cannot make
> a release with a bug like that. It is hard to decide which bugs are such show
> stoppers. And it's hard to decide what to do if no one has the time to fix
> something that was decided to be a show stopper. I think this is the reason
> why things have not moved forward. This line of thought might have brought
> about your proposal to make a time based release, but I still don't think it
> makes sense to release another "reference point" when it's not guaranteed to
> be useable. Maybe it's helpful to think of show stoppers only of those bugs
> that have not been present in the last alpha release, i.e. true regressions,
> and

I agree that the original formulation was too harsh. I wanted to
suggest preventing waiting for changes that everybody wants, but that
nobody is actually working on delivering. I agree that a time-based
release only works when it can be a usable reference point, but using
a deadline structure to move people into the right direction might be
an extra incentive.

Or it might fail miserably and then we can say: lesson learnt.