[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Release Plan for Haiku R1 alpha 3

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:46:28 +0000

On Feb 13, 2011 2:18 PM, "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-02-13 at 15:01:44 [+0100], Niels Sascha Reedijk
> <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Given the given time frame, we need to move quickly.
>
> ... or adjust the time frame. Or is there some reason the release has to
> happen until mid March?

The proposed mid-March release date is largely driven by Google Summer of
Code (and our hopes of being accepted).

March 18th is when Google announces the list of accepted organizations.

So, having a (reasonably) stable release out by then will be useful to
interested students.  Having a release a few days prior to Mar-18 should
help to raise additional awareness to Haiku and hopefully attract
more/higher quality applicants.

Late April - early May would be another good time, as that would provide the
accepted students with the release.

Given the time commitments involved for the mentors, it may be difficult to
schedule a release during the student application period or during the
coding period.

--mmadia

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline