[haiku-development] Re: Practical questions from a new developer

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:45:14 -0400

As the author of the original Deskcalc patch I'd like to make a few
comments. First of all, I like your approach because you don't have to
recalculate the result to convert to scientific notation. I hope that my
patch was at least helpful in giving you guidance in creating your patch.
Congratulations on getting your patch accepted. However, I still think that
there are some really nice aspects to my patch that got overlooked. For
instance my patch allows you to specify the number of significant digits
that you want calculated instead of just using 32. Also, I made a few fixes
that allow you to get more precise results for tranendental functions (like
pi, sin(rad), etc) and I don't think those changes got put in to your patch.
I'll apply your patch when I get a chance and see what other things got left
behind. However, I would like to say, good job, I think your approach is
overall much cleaner than mine.

John Scipione